When looking to buy a new vehicle, or even after a few years of owning the same car, you may be considering your various insurance options. There’s a lot to keep in mind when reevaluating your car insurance and investigating other options, so we figured we’d put together a list of tips to help you during the process.
You may also like: What causes phantom traffic jams?
5 Tips for choosing the right auto insurance
- Consider looking for a new insurance rate every year, even if you aren’t shopping for a new car. Many insurance companies adjust their prices regularly so you may be able to find something a bit more affordable.
- Shop around online. Some websites, such as Credit Karma, allow you to compare rates and policy elements based on your specific vehicle.
- Decide whether you need comprehensive and collision coverage. A good rule of thumb is to drop it when the annual cost exceeds 10% of your vehicle’s value. At that point, it makes the most financial sense to just stick with liability coverage.
- Consider taking a higher deductible. While you may end up paying a bit more out of pocket, you’ll pay a lower premium and be less willing to file small, unnecessary claims.
- Be sure to inquire about potential discounts. Many car insurance companies offer discounts for having multiple policies with the same company (life, homeowners, renters, etc.), no accidents in three years, vehicles with anti-theft devices, and more.
Read more: 5 Tips for choosing a fuel-efficient vehicle
This is by no means a comprehensive list of tips for finding the best car insurance for your situation, but we hope it helps you get on the right track. If you think you could benefit from getting a new or used vehicle, we invite you to check out our current inventory here at Toyota Vacaville.